Friday, July 5, 2013

Bye Bye Miss American Pie!

Over Stuffed & Lethargic Yet?

Feeling guilty for eating all that pie yesterday? Wishing you didn't reach for that third helping? Not truly sorry for it all, but wishing those calories would disappear without lifting a finger? Well, all I can say is, "that's an American BBQ for you!"
We love to grill, to hang out with our friends and families under the scorching and glorious sunny heat! Then the sun starts to set, the meat gets put away, and the smores, the fireflies, and the stars come out. The air is a bit less hot, and the wind relives you only slightly. And then make things explode! God how I need some fireworks! It has been way too long since I have seen fireworks. I cannot wait to be back in the states so I can buy some to set off in my folk's backyard!
I made way too much food for only three people. It was all delicious, but now we have left overs for days. I don't think I will be making any more ribs this summer, thanks to the mass quantities we'll have for the next week. But is that not the way of an American BBQ? Make as much as you can, and try to keep up with the conveyor belt of hot dogs and hamburgers coming at you like you are stuck in an I Love Lucy race?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mapvs5oSLs1rfo60zo1_500.gif
Burgers! Hot Dogs! Bratwurst! Chicken!
I didn't over do it with the spare ribs of awesome, or the sweet potato chips I made (recipe to come!). A true breakthrough for me! Not thinking about what people would think or say to me about eating too much, or not eating enough. And genuinely not caring if anyone said something, or looked at me funny! Just eating what I wanted to eat, and keeping small portions on my plate so if I wanted more I could keep track accurately in my food diary. It was a revelation! I mean, I was around my boyfriend/fiance (I'll name him Claus!) and his best friend (let's call him Jimmy). These boys would never make me self-conscious about eating. Jimmy has just lost a ton of weight and was in this marathon called Tough Mudder here in England. We can pretty much talk about anything under the sun about weight food and changes - especially since we are both working so hard, and Claus is even getting in on the fitness regime!
I wrote it all down, and it really wasn't that much food, but I still felt like I was carrying a food baby. What's a food baby, you ask? Well, that is when someone eats or drinks beyond their limit. Their stomach feels heavy and their clothing no longer feels loose. When they stand up they visibly look bigger, rounder. And Tada, a food baby! Food babies are worse than food commas after Thanksgiving or an English Christmas Dinner. Food Hangovers. You can try to avoid them, but they end up happening anyway. It's about how you handle what comes next that will show your metal!

Getting Active After The (Food) Baby Comes

After our lovely little BBQ on our little porch-balcony-ledge-thingy, and a restful night in our stuffy and humid little flat, we have a lot of work to get done! Of course, cleaning the grill and kitchen has been the first priority; Blogging and sending out some emailed correspondence was the second. But to get rid of this 'baby weight' I need to get outside and moving! The plan, since the sun is out and the laundry still needs doing, is to go out for a long walk and soak up this good weather! Perhaps the gym for an hour or two later on tonight too. Who knows?
If you did more eating that activity yesterday, then you are a true American! And I envy you! But if, like me, you need some inspiration to burn off that succulent spread then look no further. Below there is a lovely little list of activities and songs to shed those snacks!

Best Activities to Burn Off The BBQ Feast!
  • Swim (tons! beach, pool, garden hose)
  • Play a Sport (friz bee, soccer, water polo, volleyball, etc)
  • Long Walk (alone, with the family, the friends, or just the pets)
  • Work Out Under The Sun (get fit, get tan!)
  • Flash Light Tag ( or any other active kids game. let out that inner child!)
  • Water Balloon Fight (Or a hose fight!)
  • Scavenger Hunt (find some shells, some rocks, some sand, a feather, ANYTHING!)
  • Roller-Blade or Bike Around Town
  • Build Some Sand Castles
  • Swing on a Tire (or head to a play park)
  • Join an Outdoor Yoga Group
  • Jump Rope or Hop Scotch!
  • Side Walk Chalk-Athon (make some art work or a workout)
 Some great Songs to Shake off those Smores!

Title Of Song Time Artist Album Genre
She's Country 3:41 Jason Aldean Wide Open Country
Holdin' On 4:26 Rascal Flatts Unstoppable Country
If You Ain't Here to Party 3:54 Luke Bryan Spring Break 3...It's a Shore Thing - EP Country
Hello (Razor N Guido Radio Edit) 3:37 Karmin NOW That's What I Call a Workout 2 Fitness & Workout
Little Bit of Life 4:12 Craig Morgan Little Bit of Life Country
Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) 3:20 Big & Rich Horse of a Different Color Country
The Night Out (Madeon Remix) 3:37 Martin Solveig NOW That's What I Call a Workout 2 Fitness & Workout
Me And My Gang 3:38 Rascal Flatts Me & My Gang Contemporary Country
Not Myself Tonight 3:05 Christina Aguilera Bionic (Deluxe Version) Pop
The Game Is Over 3:25 *NSYNC Celebrity Pop
My Girlfriend 3:00 Uncle Kracker Happy Hour Pop
Starry Eyed 2:57 Ellie Goulding Lights Pop
She Wolf 3:09 Shakira She Wolf (Deluxe Version) Pop
Egoista (feat. Pitbull) 3:24 Belinda Carpe Diem Pop Latino
Just For You 3:47 William Tell The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants Alternative Singer-Songwriter
The Twist 2:38 Hank Ballard and The Midnighters 1960: Still Rockin' Doo Wop
Shimmy, Shimmy, Ko-Ko-Bop 2:09 Little Anthony and The Imperials 1960: Still Rockin' Doo Wop

Pictures of us from 4th of July:

Our Lovely Little View
The Boys on their way to the grill
The Fruit Stand

The Blogger and Claus
Bye For Now From All of Us! XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment